Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ciao Bella Gelato

I love a good cookbook, and the Ciao Bella Book of Gelato and Sorbetto is definitely one of my favorites. While some people in my family like to stick with the same ol', same ol'...I love to mix it up and have the flavors of the gelato or sorbetto compliment the meal, much like a glass of good wine. With this recipe book, I always have just the right flavor to go with a meal.

The first flavor I tried was a blackberry cabernet sorbetto. Not being able to have raw alcohol, this was a real treat for me. I chose one of my husbands favorite cabs and cooked it up with the blackberries. The flavor was outstanding. There is something about the headiness of the cab simmering, it made the whole house smell like the crush season.  This was the perfect flavoring to go with a nice barbecued tri-tip meal and was very refreshing in the heat of the summer. (We get a little hot here, and it was 107* the day we first tried it.)

A few days later I made up some of the cinnamon caramel gelato. It too, had wonderful flavor and texture. I found it to be light and not too sweet, which was a nice surprise. A lot of people at the neighborhood BBQ really liked it and gave it a lot of compliments.

The last flavor I tried in that short time was the plain old chocolate. My brother-in-law had brought me some nice Swedish chocolate bars, so I decided to put them to good use. WOW!  It was like eating a frozen brownie. The flavor was intense and the texture was beyond creamy. Every spoonful was a little bite of chocolate heaven.  


As time goes on I know I will continue to rely on this book for some new flavors to match the meal or season. I have tried the pumpkin spice (WOW!) but I'll save that for another day.

You can trust me...there's no way I'll ever be a skinny cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment